Each year, the nonprofit World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.) releases a list of holiday toys that could harm children. The hazards of each toy are generally quite straightforward, such as small parts that could be swallowed or projectiles that could cause eye injuries. Nevertheless, not all of the toys are subject to recall.
Every three minutes, a child is treated in a U.S. emergency room for a toy-related injury, according to W.A.T.C.H. The nonprofit is dedicated to educating the public, raising awareness about dangerous toys, and encouraging a more responsible marketplace for children's products. For 2018, the following toys were selected as the 10 most dangerous:
10. Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lights: This stuffed unicorn projects images of the night sky on your child's ceiling. Unfortunately, it has removable accessories small enough to be swallowed and batteries, which could leak acid.
9. Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster: Although NERF products are often made of soft materials, the plastic discs to be fired from this play rifle are hard enough to risk face and eye injuries.
8. Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw: The name pretty much says it all. This is a hard plastic claw children use to slash one another, which could cause face and eye injuries.
7. Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade: This spring-loaded, serrated plastic sword could be wielded with enough power to cause impact injuries to the face or body.
6. Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll: The doll's headband is removable and could be swallowed by a small child.
5. Zoo Jamz Xylophone: The mallet provided with the toy could block a small child's airway.
4. Nici Wonderland Doll, Miniclara the Ballerina: The doll comes with an accompanying kitten plush which Is small enough to pose a choking hazard.
3. Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket: This plastic rocket can travel up to 200 feet. That amount of force could also cause serious facial and eye injuries.
2. Cutting Fruit: A dull plastic knife is used to halve magnetic fruit. The knife could easily cause blunt trauma or puncture wounds, however.
1. Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog: The long cord attached to the wheeled dog could cause entanglement or even strangulation.
This holiday season, you should not only avoid these toys but also note down the major issues so you can choose other toys wisely. If you or a family member should be injured by a dangerous product, however, discuss your options with a personal injury attorney. Have a safe and happy holiday season.