Photo Of Exterior Of The Office Building
Evey Black Attorneys

Federal versus private sector workers’ compensation

On Behalf of | Apr 17, 2019 | Uncategorized |

Workers who are hurt on the job have the right to pursue compensation through workers’ compensation. Federal workers who are hurt may seek disability compensation through programs offered by the Department of Labor.

Federal workers who get hurt on the job or who acquire an occupational disease are typically eligible for several kinds of benefits including:

  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Medical treatment
  • Wage replacement benefits

What is the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act?

The Federal Employees’ Compensation Act is an act that provides workers’ compensation coverage to around 2.6 million postal workers and federal workers around the United States and throughout the world. There are currently 12 district offices alongside a national office where the Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation runs.

Do federal and private employees appeal to different insurance companies for workers’ compensation?

Yes. Private employees go through their state’s workers’ compensation coverage providers. For example, if you’re hurt on the job while working for your private sector employer, you’ll let your employer know that you were injured while on the job. Then, your employer will help you with a claim.

For federal employees, the coverage is provided directly from the government instead of the state. The employer, the government, deals with the coverage that the employee needs firsthand.

If you are hurt on the job, it’s important for you to seek out the benefits you deserve. Whether you’re injured in the private sector or hurt on the job while working for a federal provider, you deserve coverage that pays for your medical care and gives you peace of mind while you focus on recovery.

FindLaw Network
Blair County Business Awards Program | Blair County Chamber Hall of Fame | 2004